
The kids were on Spring Break from March 24th – 28th. Unfortunately Darren had to work so he didn’t get to join us on the adventures I’m going to tell you about.
We got lucky because our Spring Break was the same week the Japanese cherry blossoms began blooming. I have a wonderful Japanese friend (a mom from Nathan’s class) who invited us to go rowing under the cherry blossoms with her and Kenny (Nathan’s friend) on the Chidoriagfuchi Moat near the Imperial Palace and head to the Kitanomaru Science Museum after that. We actually ended up paddle boating instead of rowing around the moat. It was beautiful.
After an hour of paddle boating, we took a detour on our way to the science museum and stopped at the Yasukuni Shrine where there are 1,000 cherry trees planted. These are the trees that they use to predict when the cherry blossoms will begin blooming for the entire city. A lot of the shrines have festivals this time of year because of the cherry blossoms. For fun, we all paid 100 yen each to get a fortune and then Ms. Debbie (Kenny’s mom) read them to us.
After that, we hung them on these wires to leave behind. Debbie was saying that usually you only leave the "bad" fortunes behind and keep the "good" ones. Since these were pretty much all the same fortunes – not bad or good – we left them behind. It was a very cultural experience, especially for Christians.
After a relaxing lunch at Tony Roma’s (a rib and hamburger joint) we finally made it to the museum. It was another fun Tokyo museum for kids. We are excited about taking our friends (Danny and Nick) there next summer when they visit. One area had this neat computer program that took your picture and then you could manipulate the photo. Here’s an example of Nathan’s. They had a great time at the museum. It was about five floors so we need to go back just to finish it.

The next day we met another friend and her girls and went to the Shinagawa Aquarium. It was a tiny aquarium, especially coming from Atlanta, which has the biggest aquarium in the world.
The highlight of the aquarium wasn’t the fish in the tanks though; it was the dolphin and sea lion shows. The animals were very well trained and so cute. The kids were surprised at what they could do (and so was I).+054.jpg)
The final weekend of Spring Break Darren, the kids and I went bike riding through the largest cemetary in Tokyo called Aoyama and to Shinjuku Goen to see the 1,200 cherry blossom trees there. It was stunning! I’ve never seen so many trees and people for that matter (I am still amazed by the amount of people who live in Tokyo!) Here is a little cultural lesson: Cherry blossoms are called sakura and to go view the cherry blossoms is called hinami. Thousands of people bring tarp like blankets and food to view the blossoms all day. In the more popular spots, like Ueno Park, some people claim their real estate early and one person stays with the tarp. When it’s an office party, usually the person who has been most recently hired is assigned this task. Not a bad day on the job if you ask me!
The cherry blossoms only bloom for about a week so it is crazy busy when you go to see them. Now the green leaves are coming in and the flower petals are falling off one by one. It’s like you are walking through snow when they fall. The kids have so much fun trying to catch them.
+098.jpg)
After our hinami, we went to this huge playground called the 100 Yen Park (Danny and Nick are going to love this too). It cost 200 yen to get in. Needless to say, the kids had a blast!
You never know what you’re going to bump into in Tokyo. We were walking to pick Maddie up from a slumber party and we ran into a woman with a pet monkey…yes, monkey.

5 comments:
Thanks, Wendy, for another enjoyable, informative "trip". Tell Maddie she did a great job dancing. How cute was that!!! With so much to do and see, will you want to return to the State? :)
Joy
Wendy! Wow! I happened to be home from school one weekend in February and heard my dad tell my mom that you made another post on your blog... Out of curiosity I asked him to send me the link and I have been hooked ever since! I spent and entire evening catching up on your first few posts and have checked every day since for new posts. I get so excited when there is one! I am so intrigued by the cultural differences and similarities of this country so far away! You have sparked so many interests and questions in my head and if it weren't for the fact that I'd like to graduate from UGA before I'm 30 I would totally switch my major right now to International affairs :) Thank you for the entertainment and schoolwork distraction! Can't wait till the next post! Tell the kids I miss them!
Kathryn
Joy,
Don't worry, we still love the USA! Our excursions help to ward off the homesickness we may feel for our family, friends and Target! :) We are going to miss the food here though. It is SO oishii (delicious)!.
W :)
Kathryn,
What a nice surprise hearing from you! The kids miss you so much too. We do have a babysitter here (Ms. Suzie from the Philippines) but she's not you :).
I will get your e-mail from your dad and put you on the blog update list (that way your not wasting your time looking for new updates).
You know you are more than welcome to come and visit us here anytime. It is such a wonderful experience. I know the kids would be beyond thrilled! Just something to think about :).
I hope all your studies are going well.
We love and miss you!
Wendy :)
So fun!! Love the updates.
We just got back from another cruise, we didn't stop at Disney though (first time ever) and I CRIED as we went through Orlando knowing we weren't stopping. Andy sang a horrid rendition of When You Wish Upon a Star and as horrible as it was, I still cried. I'm such a dork!
Post a Comment