Here’s my story of the week! On Wednesday morning Nathan went to school feeling fine. When he got home that afternoon he complained of a sore throat and his voice was a little hoarse. I gave him some medicine for his throat before he went to bed and by 2:30 am (Thursday morning) he was having difficulty breathing. He also had a barky cough. So, Darren called our insurance company to get a list of hospitals we could use. A friend of mine (thanks Gina!) had told me that St. Luke’s International Hospital had English-speaking doctors and was the best. So, by 3:00 am Nathan and I were in a Taxi on our way to the Emergency Room! (It’s amazing how many Taxis are available at 3:00 in the morning!) After a twenty-minute taxi ride (3,200 yen) were arrived. We walked in (the wrong door) and asked to see a doctor. At the admissions desk, there was somebody who spoke English and we were in to see the doctor within five minutes. Out of all the millions of people in Tokyo, there were probably only two people there – including us! The doctor we saw was wonderful. He spoke four languages actually, Thai, Chinese, Japanese and English and I’m pretty sure he wasn’t quite 40! He gave Nathan a breathing treatment and some medication (three kinds to be taken three times a day for three days…except one was for two times a day). Anyway, the doctor said it was a viral infection and the medication was to help with the swelling of his membranes and help with the nasal drainage and cough. The emergency room bill was 13,600 yen (about $136.00) and that included the medications! We had a great experience.
SOOO, the next day Darren worked from home so I could finish the last day of the Tokyo Here and Now class and what do you think we learn about? That’s right, medical emergencies. And what did I learn? That the good Lord above had blessed us that night because I did everything out of “protocol.” This is what you’re supposed to do: You’re supposed to call this number for the Tokyo Hospital Directory and tell them what your medical emergency is. Then, they will find a hospital (not necessarily the nearest one to where you live) with a doctor available that can treat you. Then, you are to go to that hospital. They will be waiting for you to arrive…although this does not mean you will be seen right away. I’ve heard stories that people will call the ambulance and that sometimes it can take quite a while for the ambulance to figure out what hospital to take you to due to doctor availability for your ailment. Crazy!!!!
On a lighter note, we had our first visitor from the USA this past weekend. Paul Graceffa, our neighbor of seven years, was on a business trip to Australia/Asia and came to visit (we missed you Deirdre, Danny and Nick). We had a wonderful time with him.
On Saturday we went to Tsukiji fish market. This is the market that sells all of the fish to the restaurants in Tokyo. We saw some interesting fish!
We were also able to see how they prepared some of the bigger fish for the market. We’ve never seen so many fish…row after row after row. I wondered how they could possibly sell them all!
Later that day we took Paul to Odaiba and we all rode the big Ferris wheel. That was the one the kids wanted to ride the last time but it was too windy. The wheel itself goes slowly at a consistent rate and people get into and out of the cars as it’s moving. 
In Odabia there is a beach area that overlooks Rainbow Bridge. The kids played on the rocks and along the shore. Near there is a neat shopping area where I finally found the perfect store for me to shop! Who would have known? 
On Paul’s last day here we went to Shibuya (remember the worlds busiest intersection?). We found this store that we thought was a Goodwill store, but it wasn’t. 
That night we ate Sushi at Pintokona (the restaurant with the revolving Sushi bar). On our way there we walked by a fire station and I wanted to get a picture of the kids with the “fire mascot.” Remember, everything in Tokyo is associated with some kind of cartoon character and this is the one for the fire department. While I was taking the photo, some firefighters came out and asked if the kids would like to sit in the fire truck. That was a fun surprise.At the restaurant, we all enjoyed our Sushi. Madeline is beginning to like seaweed and will eat cucumber rolls now. Nathan discovered that he likes crab legs or zuwaigani and of course he loves ebi (steamed shrimp). No one in our family is very fond of wasabi so some items we need to order from the sushi chef directly so he can make it without wasabi. The crab is one of these things. So Madeline asked if she could order the crab for Nathan. I am the proud mom.
I went to Kappabashi Dori with my friend Gina. This is an area that sells kitchen goods, plastic foods to restaurants (that they use in their windows to show what they offer), etc. I forgot to take a picture but I’ve never seen so many dishes in my life. (I’ll take one next time). It was a little overwhelming because you see something at one store but think, what if I find something I like better at the next! I did finally find a 9 x 13 pan!
We’re planning a trip to Tokyo Disney Sea tomorrow if everyone can stay healthy (Darren has a sore throat and Madeline actually stayed home from school Monday and has a cough now. Nathan still has a cough but is feeling better.). The kids are off school this Thursday (tomorrow) and Friday due to parent/teacher conferences (I had mine yesterday since I was already up at the school). We were supposed to spend the weekend in Kyoto but Disney won out...imagine that!

Funny photo of the week: We were at a restaruant in Odaiba and found this on the menu. It says, "Fresh Cutted Rettuce." We aren't making fun...rearry! We find some of the funniest writing here. A lot in the spelling of things, but also in the translation. This bag to the right says, "You are freer than whether to use with what kind of use." What?!? I think some things are lost in translation!
4 comments:
So, did you have fresh cutted rettuce? That really got me chuckling--rearrie! Hope everyone is feeling better and did you make it to Disney? Still enjoying the blog. I always look forward to your email advising the update. How long does it take for the ferris wheel to make a full rotation--all day? LOL
Love you. Joy
Hi Joy,
Yes, everyone is on the mend...we did make it to Disney. Darren was a little under the weather but he was a true champ. I'll post Disney adventures next time.
It only takes about 10-15 minutes to go around the ferris wheel.
Hugs - Wendy :)
I can't wait to "hear" about Disney! When Ace's family visited there last year I got a good report. They thought it was amazing, of course they're also FROM Japan. LOL-
I'm glad everyone is ok, the emergency title on the blog is kinda scary! :O The video is a hoot!! Yall' are just amazing for living out such a huge adventure, the kiddos are going to have so many memories to look back on. What an experience!
I bet having a visitor was awesome. A familiar face in person does alot for the spirit I would guess.
HUGS!!
What fun you are having? REARRIE! Miss you, but love the fact we can keep in touch this way. I don't think I'll have any exciting adventures - just the joy of moving.
Cindy
Post a Comment